<< back to Water Aerobics
Top 10 Tips for a Beginner Water Aerobics Workout
Water aerobics gives you a low-impact cardiovascular workout that includes aerobics and toning exercises. You get an aerobic workout without the pounding joints afterwards. Here are some beginner tips that may improve your workout.
- Find an instructor that can teach several levels of water aerobics so you can stay with the same teacher as you advance.
- Look for athletic swimwear or swimsuits that are polyester or chlorine-resistant.
- If you are tall, check with the instructor to make sure the pool is deep enough for you.
- Make sure the instructor is certified in CPR and First Aid. Certification to teach water aerobics is a bonus.
- If your class is outside, don't forget your waterproof sunscreen to avoid sunburn.
- If your class is inside, you can stay warmer by wearing long torso athletic swimwear.
- Water shoes are often required in exercise pools. Nothing fancy… just be sure they are chlorine resistant.
- Just because you are in a pool doesn't not mean you are not sweating. Don't forget to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- Be sure to use your abdominal muscles during your workout. You'll burn more calories, strengthen your core and help prevent back injuries.
- Half way into a workout, it's tempting to reduce the intensity by bending your arms or legs. Try to keep your limbs straight so you get the most from your water workout.
Following these tips will ensure a safe water aerobics workout that will leave you looking better and feeling fitter.
next article >>